Thursday, July 28, 2005

Lovely Greek(ish) meatballs

This is a very simple recipe for very tasty meatballs. It's adapted from a Finnish journal Herkkutori (10-11/1999), and is called kreikkalaiset lihapyörykät or Greek meatballs. My culinary Greek 'guinea pig' wasn't sure about the Greekness of those (Greek meatballs usually contain lots of bread and herbs), but they were tasty and easy to make and disappeared very quickly. So who cares whether they're Greek or not. I did add some Greek oregano to the mince mixture in order to give at least some element of Greekness to my meatballs..

Greek meatballs with chilli sauce, mustard and oregano
(Kreeka hakklihapallid)



400 grams of lean steak mince
1 onion
0.5 Tbsp olive oli
1 tsp salt
0.5 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 Tbsp mustard
1 tsp dried oregano

Mince the onion and cook in microwave for a minute or two. Mix all ingredients thoroughly for 2-3 minutes. Form into 30 or so small walnut-sized meatballs. Fry gently in oil.

You want them to be nice and golden. Stop eating them before they reach the table!!!

I served them with green beans and some crusty bread, but they would be lovely on a meze table.

2 comments:

Michèle said...

Hi Pille, the meatballs look fantastic! oh so tempting.. I have a terrible craving now!

Pille said...

Hi Michele, I suffer from meatball cravings occasionally, too. If I can't get my mum's meatball patties, then I must make my own:)
I bought those ready-made 'Swedish meatballs' from Sainsbury and Tesco couple of times, but I find them far too dry and the quality is varying. They'll never as good as home-made anyway. Plus I know exactly what's inside my meatballs when I make them myself..