Saturday, September 19, 2009

Spicy Crabapple Marmelade Recipe



Rememer the Crabapple Cake? Well, some of you wanted to know how to make canned crabapples and the recipe for crab-apple jam. If you've got a crabapple tree in your back yard, then now is your chance to make this gorgeously red jam out of them. I've made two batches already - the second one was using apples from a different tree, and the marmelade wasn't as bright red, rather dark pink, but the taste was still lovely. As you're using unpeeled apples, there's plenty of pectin in the marmelade, giving it a lovely spreadable texture.

Crab Apple Marmelade
(Vürtsikas paradiisiõunapüree)

1 kg red crabapples
200 ml water (just under a cup)
1 cinnamon stick
2 cloves
250 g caster sugar

Wash the apples, place into a saucepan with water, cloves and cinnamon. Bring into a boil and simmer on low heat, stirring every now and then, until apples are soft.
Using a wooden spoon, press the soft apples through a sieve (try to get as much of the apple fruit and peel through as possible).
Return to the saucepan, add the sugar and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for another 7-10 minutes.
Spoon the jam into hot sterilised jars.
Keep in a cold storage.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The color of this marmalade is fantastic. When I was growing up, my grandparents had a crabapple tree, but I never remember my grandmother using the fruit to make anything. She would have loved this.

Anonymous said...

That look gorgeous, and easy. We have roadside crabapple trees about two blocks away, I may have to do some poaching. I've never had anything made with crabapples.

recipe cooker said...

I never made something like that. I'm must try to make it.

Anonymous said...

This was a first for me. After looking at my two crab apple trees for 10 years and leaving the fruit to the birds, I went online and found your recipe. Delicious! I did add more water as the fruit was cooking and I am at 2500 M above Sea level, so It took quite some time. After I strained the fruit, I added 500 gr. of sugar, because I had a little more than 500 ml of liquid. It made two jars. The marmelade is still hot, but tastes very, very good. It took me almost 3 hours, but it was worth it. I will serve it to my guests soon. www.antonitobedandbreakfast.net.Thank you.

Sildenafil said...

That recipe seems very easy to prepare alone in home. Where can I find the red crabapple? I mean, the best thing here is the red-crabapple , but in my country we haven't any red-crabapple. What can I do?

marshmallows dreamie said...

Ooh! Brilliant! Just found your blog while looking for some crabapple recipes...and I've hit the jackpot...great blog and delicious sounding recipe! Thank you! x M

Anonymous said...

sounds lovely i have a bucket full to transform! can't wait to try this.

Enfield67 said...

Just had a go at making this for the first time. Never made Jam before and this was very easy. Tastes good too. I made this with the first crop of Crab Apples from the newly created Orchard at Forty Hall Farm in Enfield North London,where I am a volunteer