Friday, August 05, 2011

Summer crostini with feta cheese and strawberries

Strawberry and feta crostini / Feta-maasikaampsud

Here's a truly summery crostini from one of my favourite food magazines, Swedish Lantliv Mat & Vin. I'm really sorry I got the magazine issue and came across the recipe just last week, as the Estonian strawberry season has come to an end. I can just imagine how lovely it would have tasted with just-picked sun-kissed strawberries as opposed to those much less pleasant imported ones. Still, these were wonderful and come highly recommended.

Crostini with feta cheese and strawberries
(Krõbesaiad maasika ja fetaga)

Strawberry and feta cheese crostini / Maasika-fetaampsud

sourdough bread (ciabatta, baguette)
extra virgin olive oil
feta cheese
strawberries
fresh basil leaves
freshly ground black pepper

Slice the bread thinly, halve the slices, if necessary. Brush or drizzle with a little bit of oil and toast in a pre-heated 220C/450F oven until golden and crisp.
Slice the cheese, divide the cheese slices on hot bread.
Garnish with sliced strawberries and basil leave, grind some black pepper on top.
Serve.

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

What a simple but elegant appetizer, so pretty - I wouldn't have thought to pair feta cheese with strawberries.

CutiiPromoRO said...

I love strawberries. I never thought of an appetizer although...

Unknown said...

Mmmm...that looks good & pretty too!
Love the idea of feta cheese and strawberries...
I love goat's cheese and watermelon -
that's such a great combo!

xo Emily

Pille said...

Jeanette - isn't it pretty? I hadn't paired strawberries with feta before either, but it really worked..

Elena - now you know :)

Emily - I've paired watermelon and feta, will try goat cheese next time! Thank you for the tip!